The Pendulum is based on the Izod Principle: a Pendulum consisting of a tubular arm rotates about a spindle attached to a vertical pillar. At the end of the tubular arm a head of constant mass is fitted with a rubber slider. The Pendulum is released from a horizontal position so that it strikes the sample surface with a constant velocity. The distance travelled by the head after striking is determined by the friction of the sample surface. A reading of Pendulum Test Value (PTV) is obtained.
The Pendulum is established globally as an essential part of risk management policies in the following areas:
- Road surface testing
- Testing of new road surface materials under development
- Testing of aggregates in the PSV (polished stone value) test
- Testing of floors and pedestrian walkways
- Flooring materials product development
- Accident investigations, both traffic and pedestrian
- Litigation investigations
- Testing of pavers in the Flat Bed Polisher
It is used in the following ways:
- Assessing surface safety
- Evaluation of floor cleaning materials
- Checking effectiveness of maintenance procedures
- Accident investigations
- Evidence for litigation purposes
- Carry Case - High-Quality precision cut foam-inserted Safari-style carry case. Alternatively a cardboard case with the same inserts can be offered for those used in Laboratory work. Our supplier also makes cases for the BBC Safari Team.
- F Scale built-in addition for use with the PSV Test for Determination of Polished Stone Value (EN 1097-8:2009)
- Rubber Sliders - Any combination of up to four depending on the application of the Pendulum. We supply the TRL (55), Four S (96), CEN and PSV sliders and can provide guidance on choosing the correct type for the job.
- Setting Gauge used to determine and set the striking distance of the rubber slider to the surface under test.
- C Spanner for removal and attachment of the Pendulum Foot when setting up/packing away for transport.
- Spanner & Allen Key Set for general maintenance and adjustments.
- USB Flash Drive containing Operation Manual (English).
- Comes with a Certificate of Calibration for which we are certified to conduct. Our extensively experienced and professional Calibration Team have a combined experience of 17 years in the business.
- Width - 70cms
- Depth - 30cms
- Height - 70cms
- Volume - 0.15 cu metres
- Weight - 30kg
- BS 812 Pt. 114
- BS EN 1097-8 Determination of Polished Stone Value
- AS/NZS 4586:1999 Slip resistance classification of new pedestrian surface materials
- BS 6077 Pt 1 Clay and calcium silicate pavers for flexible pavements.
- BS 7044 Artificial sports surfaces: person/surface interaction.
- BS 7188 Impact absorbing playground surfaces
- BS 8204 In-situ flooring, part 3 Code of practice for polymer modified cementitious wearing surfaces.
- ASTM E303 Standard Method for - Measuring Surface Frictional Properties Using British Pendulum
- BS 7976 Method of operation and calibration of the pendulum tester.
- EN 1436 : 1997 Road Marking Materials
- BS EN 13036-4:2003 Road and Airfield surface characteristics